Sunday, April 13, 2008

Preliminaries

Geez, what a long and full day. First had to overnight at Gatwick airport, trying to sleep on the floor (impossible) whilst nervously guarding my bike box (who’s going to grab a three ton, oversize box and sneak away with it?). Then the difficult transfer from Toulouse airport to the train station where I had to carry my bike box for what seemed like a kilometre, but probably was just a couple of metres in the midday sun.

The train ride to St Jean Pied de Port was fabulous, though. Flat, scenic and virtually the whole coach for myself. But then my odd sense for direction kicked in again. My hostel was in Rue de Citadelle, which is obviously the old centre of town. Easy.

But moi went up and down next to the citadelle without seeing the entrance. Any entrance. At nine, as darkness settled in, I found my hostel and booked in. Lights out were at ten, and I still haven’t had dinner, or showered. And tomorrow is a tough day.

As I said, geez.

No comments: